EcoMotors is a different kind of industrial company, driven by big ideas and intent on empowering change in the world.
EM is redefining how the world is powered by challenging conventions about the size, efficiency and versatility of the internal combustion engine.
Our unique opposed-piston opposed-cylinder (opoc®) engine technology enables endless potential for innovation in vehicle and machine design, giving our customers the opportunity to create distinctive value and to make meaningful, lasting changes that benefit the world.
The opoc® Engine
This patented design creates a ground-breaking internal combustion engine family architecture that will run on a number of different fuels, including gasoline, diesel and ethanol. The result is an engine family that is lighter, more efficient and economical, with lower exhaust emissions.
Electrically Controlled Turbocharger (ECT)
EM's Electrically Controlled Turbocharger (ECT™) is an exciting step in the evolution of exhaust driven turbo/superchargers for internal combustion engines. It combines a mechanical compressor and exhaust driven turbocharger into a single mechatronik solution by placing a high speed motor between the compressor and turbine wheels. The result is an independently controlled air and energy handling system in a small, low cost package.
Counter Rotating Generator (CRG)
EM's Counter Rotating Generator (CRG) applies the benefits of power density, displacement on demand and compact packaging of EM’s dual-module opoc® engine layout to an electrical generator configuration. The result is extraordinary electrical performance in a highly fuel efficient, small, and quiet machine.
EM offers a solution to one of the world’s most pressing problems: how to create more power with less fuel.
We’ve done this by developing a new engine architecture we call opposed-piston opposed-cylinder (opoc) that works far more efficiently with the fuels and fueling infrastructure that we rely on today (and for many years to come).
The opoc engine architecture is also unique in that it is significantly smaller and lighter than conventional engines, it has far fewer parts, and it offers unprecedented power density. What does this mean? More miles with less fuel; more power in less space; more reliability due to fewer parts; more comfort because of less vibration. Savings in engine size and weight can be put to much better use - more cargo, more room, more capacity, more aerodynamic design - more of what you value.
We think the opoc engine is a true enabler, offering endless potential for design innovation in a broad range of vehicles and machines - empowering OEMs and end-users alike.
Heavy-Duty On-Road Vehicles
EcoMotors (EM) is a company that has set out to create meaningful changes in the world. EM draws creative, passionate people who are inventive in everything they do.
We focus on solutions and are driven by possibility. We are honest and candid in our approach with coworkers, customers and other stakeholders. We follow-through. We do what we say. We choose action over inaction every time. EM benefits from the flexibility and freedom of an early-stage company, however we take responsibility for our work and the growth of our company. EM employees are confident contributing ideas across a boundary-less, open organization. We stay positive with an energy and enthusiasm to create and to win.
Leadership, Board, & Advisors
Members of the Board
- Largest cleantech venture capital globally w/ 60+ active investments
- Founded by Vinod Khosla, founder and CEO of Sun Microsystems and former partner at Kleiner Perkins
- ~$3B in committed capital managed
- Supports startups in energy, new materials, mobility, and internet
- American business magnate, investor, programmer, inventor, and philanthropist
- Founder, former CEO, and current Chairman of Microsoft Corporation
- World's wealthiest person in 2013
- Active cleantech investor and advocate clean energy technology
- Team with over 4 decades devoted exclusively to developing, operating and investing in Energy Technology companies
- Consistently originates and serves as lead investor for new investments
- Leader in building global Partnerships across the Energy landscape
- Supports Energy Technology companies through all stages of growth
- The Zhongding Holding (Group) Co., Ltd. is a diversified international company established in 1980 with headquarters located within the economic and technical development zone of Ningguo, Anhui Province, China.
- The Group comprises 20 modern automotive component entities including Zhongding Power, and operates both domestically and internationally.
- Zhongding Power is located in Xuancheng city, Anhui province, China where it operates an advanced engine parts foundry and will be producing OPOC engines.
News View all articles
Oct 22nd, 2015
EcoMotors Receives New Investment from Current Customer, Zhongding Power, Adding to the Funding from Bill Gates and Khosla Ventures
Allen Park, Mich., October 22, 2015 – EcoMotors (EM) announced today that it has secured a lead investor for their series D funding round—EM’s largest customer, Zhongding Power, a subsidiary of China-based Zhongding... read more
Mar 14th, 2014
Allen Park, Mich., March 13, 2014 – EcoMotors, Inc., (EM), developer of the efficient, clean, lightweight and powerful opposed-piston opposed-cylinder (opoc®) engine technology, announced today that it has... read more
Mar 12th, 2014
Allen Park, Mich., March 12, 2014 – EcoMotors, Inc., (EM) announced today the purchase of Katech, Inc., the Michigan-based manufacturing company known for developing advanced engines and powertrains, adding... read more
Mar 5th, 2014
EcoMotors and a Subsidiary Engine Company of First Auto Works (FAW) Form Joint Venture to Build Advanced Engines in China
Allen Park, Mich., March 4, 2014 – EcoMotors, Inc., (EM), developer of the efficient, clean, lightweight and powerful opposed-piston opposed-cylinder (opoc®) engine technology, announced today it formed a joint... read more
We would love to hear from you.
Please direct mail inquiries to the address listed below.Headquarters:
17000 Federal Dr., Suite 200
Allen Park, MI 48101
Ph: (313) 294-5700
For EcoMotors press inquiries, please contact Jeff Wandell.
Alternatively, EM may be contacted via email by filling out the provided form.